This week I decided to forego attending a business trip with my beloved husband and, instead, indulge myself with some time to relax, regroup, restore. It was a wonderful choice because of the time I spent with my nearest and dearest friends.
Nurturing friendships poses a challenge for me because of our travel schedule and my physical energy limitations. A few years ago my unavailability (which was perceived as neglect) of a very dear friend resulted in an estrangement that I don't think will ever be healed. So, I've been cautious about spending time with others, unwilling to open myself up to further hurt and rejection. Sometimes I think the events of that time were actually the work of God, pruning my life of relationships that were not bearing fruit. That sounds harsh, even as I write it, but I still think it could be the truth. I was overextended, unfocused, available always for others but rarely to myself and my own needs. A lot of that has changed over the past year or so, particularly since my mother's death. Life is more deliberate now. And my heart is healed and happy.
I've been thinking alot of happiness this week as I spent some quality time with these women who bring me joy and laughter. I have decided that for me, happiness is a choice. It's a way of percieving what is and deciding to unearth or recognize the joy and contentment that comes from the present moment. Of course, we can't be immersed in feeling elated 24/7, but more often than not, we can recognize that the fruit of the Spirit includes joy; and it surrounds us constantly.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

No comments:
Post a Comment